Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Missing 2 year old Myra Lewis: Bags of Evidence Removed

Myra Lewis' family has not addressed the media in order to facilitate communication with any possible kidnapper.  One media report stated that this was an abduction, while another denied it, which may be why the parents have not used the media to speak directly to a kidnapper. 

Local media reports that the family believes she was abducted.  If this is the case, it is expected that the family would address the kidnapper directly, through media. 

We have also learned that the FBI is now involved and authorities have removed "bags" of evidence from the Lewis home.  With "bags" being plural, it is an indication that it is more than simple DNA collection, or scents for dogs.

Myra went missing in the morning, but there was at least a 4-5 hour delay before police were called. 



Myra has been missing for 5 days now. 

An Amber alert was issued Sunday, and family members said Monday they believed she was kidnapped. But Madison County Sheriff Randy Tucker said Tuesday at a news conference that authorities aren't sure.
"Until we can prove or disprove one or the other, we've still got to consider every possibility. She may have wandered off or been abducted, we just don't know what  at this point," he said.


"The Sheriff's Department and multiple agencies, including the FBI and Mississippi Highway Patrol. you name it, they've all been here for us," Tucker said. "We have not given up."

"We fully expect a positive outcome," Tucker said. "We need to get Myra home, and again we want to stress to everyone we need your help, the family needs your help and we appreciate your calls."

On Tuesday, FBI agents carried brown paper bags of evidence out of the family's home.
"At far as what was in the bags, obviously we'll start where the child was last seen and we have evidence response folks who are going to that location and recovering evidence and all of this is a collective effort to discover where little Myra is," FBI Special Agent Dan McMullen said. "I'm not going to talk about anything specific with regard to the investigation."

13 comments:

JoAnn said...

When the FBI agent says he is "not going" to talk about anything specific, does this mean he already did when he said they were recovering evidence from the home?

ima.grandma said...

Recover does not mean the same as discover. Recover seems to be synonymous with regain, as in getting back something that was previously lost.

JoAnn said...

When I hear someone say "I'm not going to" do something, it is the equivalent of saying "I would never" and refers to future actions, not the past.

Red Ryder said...

So recover is not the usual term for evidence? When I read it, it made me think of the recovery of something that had been hidden.

Anonymous said...

Just a question bc I'm still learning, but taking into consoderation they may search more with the dogs (Im thinkinh prob as they have not excluded possibility she wandered off into rural area, any chance items in the bag could be things (toys, clothes etc) that could be items that Myra used and that dogs might be able to get a scent off of???

Anonymous said...

Myra’s family told reporters they believed she was abducted and said their family dogs had picked up her scent at one point. They said they had searched for her themselves before calling authorities.

There is also an ATV on the property surrounded in crime scene tape, but officials won’t elaborate on why that might be.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140305/NEWS/303040047/Plea-Help-us-find-Myra

Statement Analysis Blog said...

Anonymous said...
Just a question bc I'm still learning, but taking into consoderation they may search more with the dogs (Im thinkinh prob as they have not excluded possibility she wandered off into rural area, any chance items in the bag could be things (toys, clothes etc) that could be items that Myra used and that dogs might be able to get a scent off of???
March 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM >>

This was my point when I highlighted "bags"...

My guess is that a single bag would not only yield DNA results, but items of scent to track.

"Bags" may suggest more. I consider this, as well as the fact that the family has not spoken out to her kidnapper.

Peter

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peter. I did notice you had stressed the plurality of the bags, but I guess I was confused whether DNA was the same as scent.
I hope Myra has not been harmed by her family, just very sad to think. But at this point, it doesnt seem hopeful that she is going to be found OK whether she wandered off, was abducted or her parents harmed her.

Red Ryder said...

"We're just leaving it in the hands of God. We just leave it in his hands. We're praying. We don't believe that we've lost her. We know that she's in God's hands right now," Linda Nason, a family member, said.

http://www.wjtv.com/story/24888165/in-gods-hands-family-prays-for-missing-myra-lewis

Quote from a family member at the vigil at city hall last night. I'm conflicted. I know in SA to use words like "in God's hands" may indicate knowledge of death, but it can also mean entrusting.
I wonder if this is the same aunt (father's sister) who spoke before? If it is, then I would be more concerned.

Red Ryder said...

I watched the video. The comment was made by another family member, not the father's sister.

ima.grandma said...

JoAnn said...

When I hear someone say "I'm not going to" do something, it is the equivalent of saying "I would never" and refers to future actions, not the past.

I thought about this very thing last night after I posted a comment in a previous thread. I used the word "would" in a sentence and after thinking about it, I used it applying a somewhat defensive stance. I followed it with "I would agree" and if I were able to edit my post I should have used the word "will" instead.

Peter, what are your ideas on the difference between "would" and "will"?

Double D said...

Anonymous said...
Myra’s family told reporters they believed she was abducted and said THEIR FAMILY DOGS HAD PICKED UP HER SCENT AT ONE POINT. They said they had searched for her themselves before calling authorities.

There is also an ATV on the property surrounded in crime scene tape, but officials won’t elaborate on why that might be.
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140305/NEWS/303040047/Plea-Help-us-find-Myra

March 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM

"their family dogs had picked up her scent at one point"---this bothers me. I am not a dog owner so anyone who is may correct me if I'm wrong here, but how does a family know when their dog picks up a family member's scent versus when they lose it?

I understand that a family dog knows the scent of each family member. But what made them believe their family dog lost the scent at the road?? Was their dog specially trained as a search dog?

It just seems like the family is trying too hard to present a story of abduction when the police have not found any evidence to suggest so.

Shelley said...

Double D... I had the same thought about the dogs. I am a dog owner and while I know my dog knows our scent... Unless they have a "trained" dog (highly unlikely) they would not know. From what I understand d they are trained to give indications on thing like the scent ended.

So clearly something not right.

And watching the family in the video no one seemed all that concerned. I swear I see people looking for almost dog more emotional. In fact my dog ran off once when we first got him. We found him in a few minutes but my then 4 yr old was hysterical.

The other kids didn't seemed phased and I swear the kid that's left of the aunt smiled at one point but the video cut off her full face.